4.18.2005

LARRY BROWN, rest in peace

I don't know how this slipped under my radar, but I found out last night that Larry Brown died almost 6 months ago from a heart attack. Even worse, I was dumb enough to ask poetica's boss after he told me about the heart attack, "Is he okay?", to which he responded, "Well, he's dead". This news is very sad to me. Although I had only read one book of his, I was a huge admirer. I liked everything about him, his attitude, his grit, his southerness. What I like more than anything, was that he basically was just a southern, redneck fireman, who decided that he wanted to write, and then did all the hard work necessary to make that happen. Then after he received some fame and fortune, he was still the exact same guy, Budwieser in hand, living the simple life in Mississippi. I first heard about Larry from Tim McLaurin, another southern writer who died tragically young, then from Rick Bass. Poetica's boss has highly recommended Larry's novel Fay, which I will pick up from the library as soon as I finish this.

2 Comments:

At 4/18/2005 11:49 AM , Anonymous poetica said...

I guess my self-imposed news hiatus filtered this out, too. We should have a Larry Brown celebration of some sort to honor his life.

 
At 4/14/2006 11:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

he's not dead, he's coaching the knicks!!

he'd be a better coach if he weren't plagued all the time by that sick feeling that lance gamed all those Tours with massive doping -- no, Larry, there is no Pere Noel.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home