3.22.2006

cool new photo application


I have been playing around with this new photo service over the last 24 hours. It is in beta testing now, but from everything I am reading, it has all the makings to be the new Flickr. What makes riya different is that it has face recognition software, so you load your photos and it pulls out images and ask you to tag them, so when you load future photos, it will recognize the folks you (and others?) have tagged and automatically update the new photo. Anyway, you ask yourself how I came across such cutting edge technology? ae was on a panel with their online marketing manager. Check them out.

3 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 9:10 AM , Blogger Corey Brown said...

post

 
At 3/22/2006 11:00 AM , Anonymous WillR said...

Holy pent up blogitude Batman!

You're setting the record for folks reluctant to 'blog db (and putting pressure on poor ole-folk like myself that are still 9 posts behind on SxSW!).

As far as riya, very neat tech but somewhat creepy implications. As a technologist, I know the roads must roll , still, it'd be kind of cool to discuss the broader impacts of this type technology on our democracy before unleashing it.

Oh well, it's not like the NSA has been trolling sites using this tech already ;-)!

 
At 3/22/2006 11:13 AM , Blogger db said...

Willr,
You are correct about the creepy implications. I was tagging myself in photos but was reluctant to tag anybody else. I really don't want my friends to be able to be picked out of a crowd due to my tags. That is something riya will need to figure out. It is addressed in the article, but only says that riya does not have that technology yet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home