3.22.2006

I'm coming out!


Well, sort of. Let's face it. It is an extroverts world. Us introverts have a tough go of things. Why do you think we have ipods? Ayse claims to be an introvert. I would like to discuss this with her more, but she is usually heading out the door to meet friends, talking on the phone, hosting dinner parties, etc. I have threatened to take away her introvert's membership card, claiming that I am the true introvert, to which she said "There is a difference between being introverted and being rude!" Ouch. I didn't want to take that personally but I was the only other person in the car. Thanks to the magic of the Internet, I have found help with my struggle to be more extroverted. Sample below or read for yourself.


Suggestions for becoming more extroverted

Here are some additional suggestions for how to become more extroverted:

  • Envision the type of extrovert you’d like to be. What’s your ideal outcome? If you feel too introverted and want to be more extroverted, start by working on your vision of your outcome. Chances are that if you’ve been making little progress in this area, you have a somewhat negative vision of extroverts. When I formed a positive vision of being an extrovert that included building genuine relationships with intelligent people I respect (as opposed to random, shallow socializing), I soon began attracting those relationships. Being a “dumb jock” kind of extrovert still has no appeal to me.
  • Think of relationships in terms of what you can give, not in terms of what you can get. If you seek to build new relationships based on mutual giving and receiving, you’ll have no shortage of friends. Identify people with whom you’d like to build a relationship, and start by giving. I’ve found that my geeky knowledge is actually a tremendous strength when it comes to socializing because there are an awful lot of non-geeks who’d like to understand geeky stuff better, and I can explain it to them in ways they’ll understand. For example, I’ve been teaching some local speaker friends about blogging and web marketing, and in return I’m learning a lot from them about speaking, humor, etc. There are many intelligent people out there who’d love to have a geek as a friend. What can you bring to a relationship that will be of benefit to someone else? When you figure out what that is (and it’s probably many different things), you’ll have an easier time attracting new friends into your life.
  • Find the right social group for you. Consciously consider the types of people you’d want to have as friends. There’s no rule...

5 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 2:49 PM , Anonymous Jeff Armstrong said...

Good journey! I myself am going the opposite route, from extro to intro. I think I have had enough humanity for a while...

 
At 3/22/2006 2:59 PM , Blogger db said...

Jeff, let's have tea when we meet in the middle.

 
At 3/22/2006 6:07 PM , Blogger arse poetica said...

You are killing me, smalls! I was going to blog the introvert thing! Deuling introverts, ha.

And I'm afraid that this selective quote makes me seem rude! You were the only person in the car, yes, but we were discussing my approach to others, not your behavior, no?

ja, dude, if I could have one ounce of your sociability, I'd be riding high!

 
At 3/22/2006 6:07 PM , Blogger arse poetica said...

Er, that should be "dueling" introverts. Dang.

 
At 3/23/2006 10:13 AM , Blogger Corey Brown said...

Keys to becoming an extrovert:

1: Go see the live version of Rocky Horror Picture show and dress up in character! Go many many times.

2: Wear shit that makes people wonder why you are wearing what you are wearing. What happened to those rediculously (awesome) bright shoes? HUH? Make yourself stand out until you become comfortable with it.

3: Punch Ross in the face daily.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home