3.23.2006

mindful blogging


I've been thinking about the way I see things in relationship to my blog, i.e., do I view events around me through a filter of "can I blog this?" Will I feel pressured at the end of the day to have a post, even though nothing has moved me to write or catalog as such? I took a Mindfulness course last fall in Chapel Hill. A very simplistic summary of the course is that I wanted to be present for more of my life, experience things as they were happening, and stop worrying about the future or regretting the past. We talked, amongst other things, about when walking the dogs, or driving to work, trying to experience what is happening. Pay attention to the dogs and their doggyness, pay attention to what you see/feel/hear while driving. How many times do we drive somewhere and all of a sudden we are at our destination without remembering much about the trip? Well, I have been trying to do this as much as possible. It can be hard, especially when the dog's doggyness includes chasing after birds and wrapping me around a telephone pole! Over the last couple of days, I have noticed that instead of enjoying the drive or the walk,
I have been writing blog posts in my head. Lots of them. So, I will continue to post as I try and figure out a middle ground of existence outside the realm of blog material.
And also within it.

3 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 11:57 AM , Anonymous KathyF said...

Ah, the blog posts in the head syndrome! I suffered from that frequently for the first half year or so. It's not so bad these days, but then I usually write unrehearsed crap now. I'm an anal editor, so it's been kind of good for me to learn to write whatever comes out and not practice it in advance.

I still lie awake at night or in the early morning and compose blog posts. Most of them never make their way to the key board.

 
At 3/23/2006 12:52 PM , Blogger db said...

Thanks kathyf. I just had another lunch of posts in the head. Well, I guess it makes the day go faster.

 
At 3/23/2006 10:39 PM , Anonymous ae said...

Nice post, babe! When you find that balance, let me know your secret. =)

Hi, KathyF!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home