3.23.2006

Roger, Wilco



Great. Along with God, flag, and country, you now have to love the rock band Wilco, or be forced to account for yourself. - Slate.com, July 2004


Because I have had no less than 3 friends (Dan, Doug, and Don) say to me in the last 2 weeks "I'm sure you went to the Wilco shows in Chapel Hill" (I didn't), I thought I would at least address the history of my affection for this band. Plus, I am hoping that in some small way this blog will be about music and I have wanted to catalog this history for myself.

I first heard of Wilco back in February 1997. I was watching Headline News. They used to have short entertainment reports at the end of every half hour. They had a short clip about this new band that was labeled "Winona Ryder's favorite band!" Well, I was sold. I headed over to SchoolKids Records, and bought their new double album 'Being There'. The cashier asked if I was going to see the show and handed my a small flyer for the Cat's Cradle, which showed Wilco was playing there the next week. I bought our tickets on the spot.

Ayse, too, has become a fan and has been all over the country with me to see shows, movies, etc.
It's hard to believe they have become so popular. So, for those who care, I have listed the shows we have seen and little tidbits I can remember about each.


2-11-97 (with ae) - Cat's Cradle - Carrboro, NC - first time we saw them. I remember Ayse saying that we didn't have to get there early because it would only be their "uncles and cousins" at the show.
I ripped down the "Sold Out" sign from the door as we were leaving and that sign was posted in various offices of mine throughout the years.

8-15--98(with ae) - Walnut Creek Ampitheater - Raleigh, NC (Newport Folk Festival) - Jeff was cranky for this concert. Didn't seem like he wanted to be there. It was the first time I heard the song
"Another Man's Done Gone".

10-28-99(solo) - Bullwinkles (Headliners) - Madison, WI - Attended this show the night before my parents arrived for their first visit to Wisconsin. The tour bus was parked on the street in front of the bar,
and as I walked by, I waved at Jeff, who waved back. This was the smallest venue I have ever seen them in.

12-31-99(with ae) - Riviera Theater - Chicago, IL - 'End of the Century' show. While playing that song, and that line, concert stopped while aliens took over the stage. Elvis later appeared to sing the Beatles 'Revolution'. Another highlight, Steve Earle opened.

5-13-00(with ae) - Soldier's Field - Chicago, IL - This show was at the end of a Chicago Fire - Coloarado Rapids MLS soccer game. Wilco played in the endzone, facing the south bowl of the stadium. I remember Jeff saying "I always thought we would play Soldier's Field, I just thought we would be facing the other direction".

11-16-00 (solo)- Barrymore Theater - Madison, WI - I walked to this show from my apartment. Walked back in a fairly severe snow storm. Damn Wisconsin.

3-10-01(with ae) - The Knitting Factory - Hollywood, CA (Jeff Tweedy solo show) - This is probably my favorite Wilco event we have witnessed. Solo, all acoustic, debuted some Wilco songs from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. This dude from SNL opened the show and he bombed.

12-5-01(with ae) - El Rey Theater - Los Angeles, CA - Ethan Hawke stood right near us. I walked past him to see how tall he was. He came up to about my neck (I'm 6'2").

10-14-02(with ae) - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC - This was during the sniper shootings in DC. When we jumped in a cab after the show, the cab driver told us that another person had been shot during the show.

9-25-04 (with ae)- Memorial Auditorium - Raleigh, NC - Ran into our friend Paul and his family outside the show. They were attending the ballet next door.

2-19-05 (with ae)- House of Blues - Myrtle Beach, SC - Very loud, very smokey. Had dinner with my family in the HOB restaurant before show. Ayse's bra smelled like smoke when we got home. I told her not to remove her shirt and dance on the bar!

That's it. We are awaiting a new album and a new tour to continue our journey. I am looking forward to it.

4 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 10:47 PM , Anonymous ae said...

Great times, db! So many asked me about this that I actually felt like we let people down by not going! C'mon we could've made it a 12th show, right? =)

Where's that SOLD OUT sign now?

 
At 3/24/2006 8:39 PM , Anonymous Ross said...

I have audience recordings of those two shows if you want them. Then you can be all like, "Yeah, I was there."

 
At 3/27/2006 1:06 PM , Blogger Chapel Hillbilly said...

Ross, ya beat me to it. Hook Davy boy up yo!

 
At 3/27/2006 1:19 PM , Blogger db said...

Thanks, Don. Ross made the mistake of telling me to bug him about these, so he can consider himself bugged. AE and I will be at your Cave show on April 10th! Looking forward to it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home